10 Best Ways for Wine and Food Pairing 08-Jan-2019
10 Best Ways to Match your Food and Wine
Who doesn’t love to wine and dine? (Or even better to BE wined and dined). Here at Nobles Restaurant the Hills Lodge Hotel, we are passionate about the food we source and the wine we match with it. Since it’s not quite beaching weather just yet … why not indulge in a little wining and dining?
See our top 10 best ways to pair food and wine for the beginner:
- 1. Earthy foods such as mushrooms and truffles are perfect teamed with Pinot Noir.
- 2. The deep, dark richness of a full bodied red such as Cabernet Sauvignon pairs perfectly with juicy red meat such as steak or lamb cutlets.
- 3. Light and zingy dressings and tart dishes (like grapefruit and avocado salad) sit beautifully with a light and clean Sauvignon Blanc.
- 4. A good dry Rose and any hearty cheese dishes are like a match made in heaven. Some whites go well with some cheeses, and other with red wine – but all will blend perfectly with a Rose (think a triple decker baked cheese sandwich!)
- 5. Lightly flavoured seafood dishes such as prawns or scallops are well matched with light whites such as Pinot Grigio or Chablis.
- 6. Champagne and salty snacks are perfect together – sparkling’s can often have a hint of sweetness which is balanced when teamed with a salty mouthful of something tasty.
- 7. Fatty fish (such as salmon) or seafood served in a thick, luscious sauce are perfect with a full bodied Chardonnay.
- 8. A red wine with a hint of spicy-ness (such as a Syrah) is good to go with heavily spiced food such as Mediterranean coated meats (cumin, paprika and the like).
- 9. Dry Riesling and a spicy dish such as laksa or a green curry offset each other perfectly.
- 10. A sticky Moscato served with a fruit based dessert is a great match – figs or apples do a service to this lovely drop.
Food and wine pairing is always a popular and social event to participate in and to learn and understand the methods of the way in which wine can be ‘matched’ with corresponding foods is an art unto itself. We hope to see you soon at one of our wine tasting and dinner events soon!